Our 2017 Herbal Apprenticeship is now full. If you're interested in taking the program in 2018 please click the button below and we'll add you to the 2018 waiting list. When the time comes to start accepting applications again, we will notify you. Thank you so much for your interest in the Herbal Apprenticeship!
2017 HERBAL APPRENTICESHIP
THE SPIRITED HERBALIST - A PLANT GUIDED JOURNEY TO YOURSELF
VIEW BOTTOM OF PAGE FOR INFORMATION ABOUT OUR 2017 INTERN POSITION. THIS IS A WORK-FOR-TUITION OPPORTUNITY.
Dear Apprenticeship Applicant,
Looking forward to another year of apprentices at Misty Meadows is always exciting, and each group brings its own special energy. For more than 20 years this program has grown more wonderful every year, as students and teachers grow together and learn from each other. This year you will have an opportunity to learn from several outstanding herbalists. As always, we spend countless hours in the Mother’s classroom, the best one of all.
The Spirited Herbalist - A Plant-Guided Journey to Your Self is a 7 month program. This is a beginner level, hands-on program. The focus is on native plant identification and traditional uses as well as on plant spirit medicine. The content is aimed at those who wish to learn the Wise Woman/Man Ways of working with plants in daily living. Learn to understand and work with cycles of the moon, stars and planets, your body and plants, coming to a place of understanding that everything is part of the same whirling universe, connected in perfect balance.
Student orientation takes place in April. We will then meet on seven weekends during the months of May thru November. Final project presentations and graduation are held on the weekend following the 7th class weekend.
Students spend time in the gardens, field and forest, classroom and kitchen. Students must be physically able to hike through wild areas of the forest, wetlands and hilly terrain, tolerate working in the hot sun and rain. Upon completion of this Level I program, you'll have the tools to provide herbal support for yourself and your family's basic health needs, preparing Earth-gift medicines, creating lovely gifts from the Earth that people will cherish, and working your wise-woman ways. Graduates of this program are also fully prepared for Advanced Herbal Studies.
Along the way, you will work closely with the other participants in the program; sometimes all together, other times in smaller groups depending on the projects being done. In any case, it will surely be a time of great learning, teaching and sharing.
Campers are welcome, and there are a number of excellent B&B's in the area.
Wendy Snow Fogg, Director/Sr. Herbalist
Misty Meadows Herbal Center
Deadline to apply is: March 15, 2017
Program space is limited.
- Early application is highly recommended, particularly if you are seeking work/study assistance.
- Application does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
- Late applications may not be accepted
Age Requirement: Applicants must be at least 20 years old and must have graduated high school or equivalent.
Physical Requirements: Students must be able to participate fully in all aspects of the program, including gentle hiking up to 5 miles in field and forest, work in garden for periods of up to 3 hours, maintain focus and concentration for a minimum of 2 hours during lectures and hands-on workshops; all students must be able to read, speak and write English.
- Once your application is received, you will be contacted to schedule an interview. Skype interviews are available if you are more than 50 miles from Misty Meadows.
- Tuition is $1695.
- $695 deposit must accompany application. Deposit is processed upon acceptance into the program.
- Payment Plan: please contact us to discuss your needs/options.
- Tuition Refunds: Refunds will be made only if written request is made by student and received by Misty Meadows prior to April 1, 2017. There will be no refunds granted after April 1, 2017. Any student withdrawing from the program after April 1, 2017 for any reason will forfeit all monies paid to Misty Meadows, and will be held legally responsible for any tuition balance due. Should a registered student not begin or complete the program for any reason, Misty Meadows Herbal Center assumes no obligation, financial or otherwise to that student.
- Work/Study Program: Work/Study students maintain the gardens at Misty Meadows and must be physically capable of doing so. An approved student may work for (not more than) $500 of the full tuition, which is worked off at a rate of $6.25/hr. A schedule will be arranged. Work begins May 1. All work/study hours must be completed by September 30. Please indicate your interest in Work/Study when submitting your application. You will be contacted for an interview.
Intern Position: We have an amazing opportunity for an aspiring herbalist to be a Student Intern at Misty Meadows! The Student Intern will participate in the 2017 Herbal Apprenticeship Program in exchange for working as a gardener on the beautiful grounds of Misty Meadows! Please view bottom of page for more information regarding the Intern Postition
Sunday April 9 9:30 am - 3:00 pm. Lunch will be provided. Attendance is mandatory.
- May 13-14
- June 3-4
- July 15-16
- August 12-13
- September 9-10
- October 14-15
- November 4-5
- November 18: Final Project Presentations & Graduation
Class Meeting Times:
- 8:45 am - 5:30 pm. Students are expected to participate fully, arrive on time and remain for the full class time. (Campers are welcome to set up on Friday afternoon between 4 and 7 pm or on Saturday between 7:30-8:30 am.) Please ask for instructions.
- Additional Time Requirements: Each student is required to spend 10 hours (two 5-hour days) per month from May through October (60 hours total), in addition to the class weekends, doing hands-on learning at Misty Meadows. This time will include gardening, harvesting and processing of harvested plant materials and product making with our Medicine Maker. Students are also required to participate in one annual Misty Meadows fundraising event. Time will be credited toward the 60 hour requirement.
- Absences: In the event of absence during any portion of the class, the student is required to make up the work prior to the next class weekend. Make up classes are scheduled at the convenience of the teacher and at the expense ($60hour) of the student for that teacher's time. Any student with more than two days or15 hours absence becomes automatically ineligible to receive a certificate of graduation. This is a hard & fast rule. No exceptions.
- Requirements for Graduation
In order to graduate and receive certification, a student must fulfill the following requirements:
1. Meet attendance requirements
2. Successfully complete all homework assignments
3. Complete Additional 60-hour Hands-on Work Time Requirement
4. Successfully complete Plant I.D. List
5. Present final project
Each student is assigned a faculty advisor who will be available to offer additional help, answer questions and meet with each student to help assure student success.
Food/Water: Meals are on your own. Our location is rural - bring a cooler w/ plenty of wholesome food that will sustain your energy on every level! Our water is purified - drink lots! Bring non-disposable water bottle for filling.
Camping: Tenters are welcome - no RV Campers, please. Indoor sleeping space is available during inclement weather. We are also happy to provide a list of local B&B’s and hotels.
For Everyone's Comfort:
- No Cell Phone Use Permitted inside the buildings
- No Pets
- No Guests
- No Smoking anywhere on the property
2017 INTERN POSITION
We have an amazing opportunity for an aspiring herbalist to be a Student Intern at Misty Meadows! The Student Intern will participate in the 2017 Herbal Apprenticeship Program in exchange for working as a gardener on the beautiful grounds of Misty Meadows!
- Must be 20 years of age or older.
- Must be able to commit two 6 hour days a week from May 1st to September 30th. The days available to work in the gardens are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Must be able and willing to work outside in varying weather conditions.
This internship is solely a tuition for work exchange and does not replace any program requirements of the herbal apprenticeship program.
If this is the opportunity you have been looking for then please write a 1-2 page essay on why this opportunity would be a great fit for you and for Misty Meadows and submit it with your 2017 Herbal Apprenticeship Application.