2019 HERBAL APPRENTICESHIP
THE SPIRITED HERBALIST - A PLANT GUIDED JOURNEY TO YOURSELF
ACCEPTING 2019 APPLICATIONS BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 1st, 2018
Dear Apprenticeship Applicant,
Looking forward to another year of apprentices at Misty Meadows is always exciting, and each group brings its own special energy. For more than 20 years this program has grown more wonderful every year, as students and teachers grow together and learn from each other. This year you will have an opportunity to learn from several outstanding herbalists. As always, we spend countless hours in the Mother’s classroom, the best one of all.
The Spirited Herbalist - A Plant-Guided Journey to Your Self is an 8 month program. This is a beginner level, hands-on program. The focus is on native plant identification and traditional uses as well as on plant spirit medicine. The content is aimed at those who wish to learn the Wise Ways of working with plants in daily living. Learn to understand and work with cycles of the moon, stars and planets, your body and plants, coming to a place of understanding that everything is part of the same whirling universe, connected in perfect balance.
Student orientation takes place in April. We will then meet on eight weekends during the months of May thru November. Final project presentations and graduation are held on the weekend following the 8th class weekend.
Students spend time in the gardens, field and forest, classroom and kitchen. Students must be physically able to hike through wild areas of the forest, wetlands and hilly terrain, tolerate working in the hot sun and rain. Upon completion of this Level I program, you'll have the tools to provide herbal support for yourself and your family's basic health needs, preparing Earth-gift medicines, creating lovely gifts from the Earth that people will cherish, and working your wise woman/man ways. Graduates of this program are also fully prepared for Advanced Herbal Studies.
Along the way, you will work closely with the other participants in the program; sometimes all together, other times in smaller groups depending on the projects being done. In any case, it will surely be a time of great learning, teaching and sharing.
Campers are welcome, and there are a number of excellent B&B's in the area.
Wendy Snow Fogg, Director/Sr. Herbalist
Misty Meadows Herbal Center
Deadline to apply is: March 15, 2019
Deadline to apply for student intern position: February 15, 2019
Program space is limited.
- Early application is highly recommended, particularly if you are seeking work/study assistance.
- Application does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
- Late applications may not be accepted
Age Requirement: Applicants must be at least 21 years old and have graduated high school or equivalent.
Physical Requirements: Students must be able to participate fully in all aspects of the program, including gentle hiking up to 5 miles in field and forest, work in garden for periods of up to 3 hours, maintain focus and concentration for a minimum of 2 hours during lectures and hands-on workshops.
- Once your application is received, you will be contacted to schedule an interview. Skype interviews are available if you are more than 50 miles from Misty Meadows.
- Tuition: $2200. (Plus 3% processing fee)
- $700 deposit must accompany application. Deposit processed upon acceptance into the program. If you choose not to do the program, or are not accepted, your payment will not be processed.
- Discount: 3% Processing fee waived for cash or check - payment in full only.
- Payment Plan: Participation in the payment plan requires that a credit card be left on file and authorized for payment on the assigned due dates. Card declination will incur a $20 charge and that month’s payment must be made in cash.
- $721 Deposit with Registration. Includes 3% Processing Fee. (Processed upon acceptance into program.)
- $386 Payment Due May 1 (includes 3% Processing Fee)
- $386 Payment Due June 15 (includes 3% Processing Fee)
- $386 Payment Due August 1 (includes 3% Processing Fee)
- $386 Payment Due September 15 (includes 3% Processing Fee)
- Tuition Refunds: Refunds will be made only if written request is made by student and received by Misty Meadows prior to March 31, 2018. There will be no refunds granted after March 31, 2018. Any student withdrawing from the program after March 31, 2018 for any reason will forfeit all monies paid to Misty Meadows, and will be held legally responsible for any tuition balance due. Should a registered student not begin or complete the program for any reason, Misty Meadows Herbal Center assumes no obligation, financial or otherwise to that student.
- Work/Study Program: Work/Study students maintain the gardens at Misty Meadows and must be physically capable of doing so. An approved student may work for (not more than) $500 of the full tuition, which is worked off at a rate of $7/hr. A schedule will be arranged. Work begins May 1. All work/study hours must be completed by September 30. Please indicate your interest in Work/Study when submitting your application. You will be contacted for an interview.
Intern Position: An exciting opportunity for an aspiring herbalist to be a Student Intern at Misty Meadows! The Student Intern will participate in the 2018 Herbal Apprenticeship Program in exchange for working as a gardener on the beautiful grounds of Misty Meadows! Please view bottom of page for more information regarding the Intern Position
- Sunday April 14, 2019
- 9:30 am - 3:00 pm.
- Lunch will be provided
- Attendance is mandatory
- May 11-12
- June 1-2
- July 13-14
- August 10-11
- September 7-8
- October 5-6
- October 26-27
- November 9-10
Class Meeting Times:
- 8:45 am - 5:30 pm. Students are expected to participate fully, arrive on time and remain for the full class time. (Campers are welcome to set up on Friday afternoon between 4 and 7 pm or on Saturday between 7:30-8:30 am.) Please ask for instructions.
- Practicum Requirements: Each student is required to spend 10 hours (two 5-hour days) per month from May through October (60 hours total), in addition to the class weekends, doing hands-on learning at Misty Meadows. Days are scheduled upon acceptance into the program and must be completed on Wednesdays/Thursdays/Fridays/Saturdays. This time will include gardening, harvesting and processing of harvested plant materials and product making with our Medicine Maker.
- Additional Requirement: Students are also required to participate in the annual Misty Meadows Wellness Fair, a fundraising event to support the gardens.
- Absences: In the event of absence during any portion of the class, the student is required to make up the work prior to the next class weekend. Make up classes are scheduled at the convenience of the teacher and at the expense ($60/hour) of the student for that teacher's time. Any student with more than two days or 15 hours absent becomes automatically ineligible to receive a certificate of graduation.
- Requirements for Graduation
In order to graduate and receive certification, a student must fulfill the following requirements:
1. Meet attendance requirements
2. Successfully complete all homework assignments
3. Complete Additional 60 Hands-on Practicum Hours
4. Successfully complete Plant I.D. List
5. Present final project
6. Pay tuition in full
Each student is assigned a faculty advisor who will be available to offer additional help, answer questions and meet with each student to help assure student success.
Food/Water: Meals are on your own. Our location is rural - bring a cooler w/ plenty of wholesome food that will sustain your energy on every level! Our water is purified - drink lots! Bring non-disposable water bottle for filling.
Camping: Tenters are welcome - no RV Campers, please. Indoor sleeping space is available during inclement weather. We are also happy to provide a list of local B&B’s and hotels.
For Everyone's Comfort:
- No Cell Phone Use Permitted inside the buildings
- No Pets
- No Guests
- No Smoking anywhere on the property
2019 INTERN POSITION
Deadline to apply
February 15, 2019
Each year we offer this opportunity to one aspiring herbalist! The Student Intern receives full participation in the 2019 Herbal Apprenticeship Program
in exchange for working as a gardener on the beautiful grounds of Misty Meadows!
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must be able to commit two 6 hour days a week from May 1st to September 30th. The days available to work in the gardens are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Must be able and willing to work outside in varying weather conditions.
- Applicant should have gardening experience and be able to work independently.
This internship is solely a tuition for work exchange and does not replace any program requirements of the herbal apprenticeship program.
If this is the opportunity you have been looking for, please write a 1-2 page essay on why this opportunity would be a great fit for you and for Misty Meadows and submit it with your 2019 Herbal Apprenticeship Application.
Send your application:
- U.S. Mail
Misty Meadows Herbal Center
183 Wednesday Hill Road
Lee, NH 03861